This Rising Powers Initiative (RPI) project includes the following activities:
- Policy Alerts
The RPI launched a new Policy Alert series on Energy and Maritime Security for this research effort to our email contacts. These Policy Alerts will offer policy assessments and updates on events and issues related to energy security and maritime strategies in the Indo-Pacific.
Policy Alerts Archive
You sign up for this Policy Alert series and other RPI publications, please see the subscription box at the bottom of this page.
- Scholarly and Policy Journal Articles
In order to improve upon the current field of research on energy security and maritime strategies in Asia, our project scholars will publish a number of articles in scholarly and policy research journals on their findings in 2017.
Regular blog posts on topics related to the project will be published on the RPI Blog.
- Web-Based Resources
In addition to a presence on the RPI Blog, the RPI website, and on Twitter (@RisingPowers), the project includes a research database that will be updated regularly to provide user-friendly access to scholarly and policy relevant articles and books on energy security, maritime strategies, and other related topics.
Click here to access the research database. You can use the filters on the left side of the page to narrow down your research interest.
- Policy Briefs, Scholar Writings, and Working Papers
We will regularly publish Policy Briefs – detailed but concise policy assessments based on the findings of this project study – to inform U.S. policymakers and media professionals of the project’s on-going findings. Our scholars will publish op-eds and reports in journals, newspapers, and other publications on their on-going findings over the course of the project. Finally, near the end of the project, our scholars will compose working papers with a more detailed look at these debates in Asia.
Policy Brief Archive:
- China’s New Coast Guard Vessels are Designed for Rapid Conversion into Navy Frigates, The National Interest, October 29, 2016
- Can China Offer the World Public Goods? The National Interest, October 16, 2016
- The One Part of China’s Military That Everyone Forgets (At Their Peril), The National Interest, September 30, 2016
- Lyle Goldstein: Scholar Takes Sober View of China Ambitions [profile story], China Daily, September 19, 2016
- China Shaking Things Up in South China Sea with Naval Drills, CNBC, September 13, 2016
- Why China is Ready for Rodrigo Duterte, The National Interest, June 29, 2016
- Is Cheap Oil Easing China’s Energy Fears? The National Interest, April 28, 2016
- Can China’s ‘Dreadnought’ Tip the Naval Balance?, The National Interest, March 19, 2016
- China’s World War I Master Plan to Take on the U.S. Navy, The National Interest, February 28, 2016
- Does China Think America is in Decline?, The National Interest, January 28, 2016
- How to Sink a U.S. Navy Carrier: China Turns to France for Ideas, The National Interest, December 13, 2015.
- China’s Coast Guard: A Big Problem or a Big Opportunity? The National Interest, November 15, 2015.
- How Will China Respond in the South China Sea? Ask the Soviet Union, The National Interest, November 2, 2015.
- The Main Problem with America’s Abundant South China Sea Hawks [written in response an article by our Vietnam case study scholar, Alex Vuving], The National Interest, October 28, 2015.
- Old-School Killers: Fear China’s Sea Mines, The National Interest, October 14, 2015.
- The South China Sea Showdown: 5 Dangerous Myths, The National Interest, September 29, 2015.
- America’s Last ‘Pivot’ to Asia: The Vietnam War and the China Factor, The National Interest, September 21, 2015.
- America’s Big Opportunity to Lower Tensions in Asia, The National Interest, September 2, 2015.
- Japan’s Folly Could Be China’s Gain in a War Against America, The National Interest, July 17, 2015.
- Test of Wills: Can China Overtake America in Asia Peacefully? The National Interest, May 19, 2015.
- China’s Nightmare: Vietnam’s New Killer Submarines, The National Interest, March 29, 2015.
- Fog of War: Is China’s Military Battle-Ready? The National Interest, March 14, 2015.
- China Debates: Is War with U.S. Inevitable? The National Interest, March 3, 2015.
- China’s Biggest Fear: U.S.-Indian Encirclement, The National Interest, February 11, 2015.
- The Great Debate: U.S.-Chinese Relations and the Future of Asia, The National Interest, November 10, 2014.
- How Much is Enough? U.S. Extended Deterrence in Northeast Asia and China’s Rise, GWU ISCS Policy Brief, February 2016
- Congressional Testimony before the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission during a Hearing on China and South Asia, March 10, 2016
- India’s National Identity and Its Impact on Security Policy Under Modi, The ASAN Forum, December 10, 2015.
- Can China’s Charm Offensive Mend its Fractured Ties with Communist Neighbour Vietnam? [cited in article], IntellAsia, September 16, 2016
- Why the South China Sea Ruling is a Game Changer, The Diplomat, July 27, 2016
- ADIZ in the South China Sea: Nine-Dash Line 2.0?, The National Interest, July 25, 2016
- How Vietnam can Stop the South China Sea ADIZ, The National Interest, June 6, 2016
- Quoted in “Sunnylands and China’s Activities in the East Sea,” VietnamNet Bridge, March 2, 2016.
- Who Will Lead Vietnam? The Diplomat, January 16, 2016.
- Think Again: Myths and Myopia about the South China Sea [written in response an article by our China case study scholar, Lyle Goldstein], The National Interest, October 16, 2015.
- Chi Comandera in Vietnam [Who Will Rule Vietnam]. Limes (Italian Review of Geopolitics), August 2015.
- A Tipping Point in the U.S.-China-Vietnam Triangle, The Diplomat, July 6, 2015.
- Will the 2016 Congress Be the Moment of Change in Vietnamese Politics? East Asia Forum, May 13, 2015.
- A Breakthrough in U.S.-Vietnam Relations. The Diplomat, April 10, 2015.
- China’s Grand-Strategy Challenge: Creating Its Own Islands in the South China Sea. The National Interest, December 8, 2015.
- Vietnam, the U.S., and Japan in the South China Sea. The Diplomat, November 26, 2014.
- Points of Control: China’s Weiqi Strategy in the South China Sea, The Indo-Pacific Review, November 15, 2014.
- Japan’s “New Grand Strategy” Is a Response to China’s “Global Maritime Power” Ambitions, Asian Politics & Policy, vol. 6, no. 4 (October 2014).
- Did China Blink in the South China Sea? The National Interest, July 27, 2014.
- Policy Briefings and Events
RPI will convene a number of events to educate the public, policymakers, and media professionals on the findings of this study. When these events are schedule, we will post updates here and through our email contacts.
Policy Engagement Roundtables:
Mike Mochizuki, “Japan Eyes a Rising China: Security Realism or Threat Inflation?” Cosmos Club, Washington, D.C., December 15, 2015
Lyle Goldstein, “The Nexus of Chinese Energy and Naval Strategies,” Cosmos Club, Washington, D.C., May 31, 2016
Alex Vuving and Virginia Watson, “New Leaders, Growing Challenges: The Evolving Domestic Politics of Maritime Security in Vietnam and the Philippines,” Cosmos Club, Washington, D.C., July 19, 2016